Monday, October 18, 2010

Nothing says autumn like roasted root vegetables, cider, and homemade bread

Saturday I roasted root vegetables.


 The night before I made soup stock.  


I was a little leery about making my own stock - cooking the bejesus out of fresh vegetables, then throwing them out? - but some of what is cooked are the parts one doesn't always use, like leek tops and fennel fronds.  And, OMG, the house smelled heavenly!  Most of the stock went into the freezer, but Wednesday I will combine some of the stock and some of the roasted veggies with some other ingredients to make Roasted Root Vegetable Soup from Love Soup, which we will eat along with this.


That is bread, of course, but what is it in?  Why, a hand-thrown bread bowl I purchased at the Johnny Appleseed Festival this year.


This one wasn't my favorite, but by the time I decided to buy one and circled back, my fave was gone.


These are meant for baking "frozen bread" - whatever the hell that is - something that is available at the grocery store?  I used mine to bake homemade bread, but I put only half the dough in since the bowl looks a little small for a whole loaf.  The rest of the dough?  I froze it.  Heh.

And the cider?  Purchased at a local orchard along with some apples.  The cider is unpasteurized but I didn't realize until I got home that it also has had some preservatives added; is it a law that unpasteurized cider has to have preservatives in it?  My intent was to let it turn hard a la Wild Fermentation, but now I'm not sure that will work.  Maybe I will test a small amount, to see if it will ferment.

3 comments:

Pat - Arkansas said...

Yum! And, I love your bread bowl.

Toni said...

YUM!!!!!

Allison said...

You're totally speaking to me in this post- aren't you? I love roasted veggies and I'm going to have to look up that soup recipe.

The Grabers on Notestine Rd (an Amish family with just a little sign out on the road) will custom press apples for you into your own batches of cider. That way you can make hard cider, or just freeze the gallons (like we do) until you are ready to drink them. No additives, not pasturization! We also buy our potatos there too.