Saturday, February 18, 2023

Up close and personal

The wind blew over the birdbath the other day. While setting it back up, I moved it closer to the window where I laze in my recliner. One purpose was to find an even spot. Another was to lessen the number of window hits; I read that feeders and birdbaths should be within 15 feet (or far away) to help prevent avian crashes. A side benefit is getting to see the birds up close... as long as I don't move too much.

Capture my good side

I wasn't quick enough to snap a pretty male house finch, but the bluebirds were very cooperative.

What are you looking at?

While glancing out the kitchen window yesterday, I witnessed a pair of mourning doves courting. It seemed early to me, but according to the Indiana DNR, they are right on schedule.

Something (raccoon or opossum?) has been knocking the mealworm feeder out of the redbud tree at night, so I've been bringing it inside after dark. Whatever the critter is, it is still checking that tree out, as this morning the dogs were sniffing up the trunk.

While messing around with my phone camera, I discovered it has, among other things, a macro mode. Who knew? Certainly not me.

New sprout on schefflera

I was thinking about buying a new SLR camera - and I may still do so - but it is nice to know that I can fall back on my phone camera.

The cactus that won't die

I ordered more catmint, this time 'Calamintha' nepeta, for the front yard. This one looks like baby's breath. My plan is to combine it with the 'Cat's Pajamas' I ordered earlier. The pollinators should be happy.

The mower is back - already! - but we are far from spring despite the March-like winds. I had a follow up appointment for my shoulder and was told to hold off on lopping branches for a few more weeks, and to start small. Aye, cap'n!

No comments: