Saturday, February 11, 2023

Right before my very eyes

I use one of the spare bedrooms as an exercise room. Per usual, I was standing by the window, watching the birds while shrugging my shoulders, thinking about scaring away the starlings, when all the birds in the yard fled. A large hawk swooped through and grabbed a mourning dove. (Mourning doves fly fast but are a bit slow to get off the ground).


My first thought was, Why couldn't the hawk have grabbed a starling? Maybe they don't taste very good. My second thought was at least the mourning dove was a single, not one of a pair.


Mourning doves look so soft to me. Guess what? Their feathers *are* soft.

Sean from Santuary Native Landscapes stopped by on Wednesday, before the subsequent rain proved my point by providing some standing water, to discuss installing a rain garden. We have a tentative plan to move forward.

The only other exciting thing to happen this week was the riding mower going in for its annual servicing. That's just how wild and crazy it gets around here. Have a stimulating week.

No comments: