Sunday, February 26, 2023

Some actual yardening

Despite some horrible weather lately, we have had a couple of nice days. I took advantage of them and installed different fencing around the "meadow", something more attractive and tall enough to keep the dogs away from the bird feeders. I bought these fence panels at Menards (11% rebate!), and they are my new favorite.


Another purchase, this one from Wild Birds Unlimited, is this wind thing. It shows the direction of the wind and the speed, plus I could not resist the kitties on top. I'm discovering some areas of my yard are more protected than others and have moved it at least once.


As I said, we have had some bad weather along with the good. Last Wednesday I awoke to an icy morning. Fortunately, it didn't last long and there was no damage. Then came the rains. I sometimes wonder if I should invest in a backup generator.



Besides daffodils popping up here and there, the ragwort that was installed last summer is starting to send up flower stalks. I don't think any actual blooms will appear until late March. I'm anxious to see what those beds will look like.


The goldfinches are starting to return, although still wearing their winter plumage. The starlings have lost theirs, so they don't look so ugly. And I think I saw a vulture today, scoping out my backyard. Come on, spring!

No comments: