Sunday, January 29, 2023

Guardian of the mealworms

Instead of modifying the starling-proof mealworm feeder, I put it out with the other nut feeders and filled its bowl with bark butter bits. Bluebirds like them, as do just about every other bird that visits, plus the squirrels. (Now that I think of it, I bet a red squirrel could squeeze into that feeder, if it could get past the baffle on the pole.) The "old" mealworm feeder is back in its original location. I moved the recliner in the den closer to the window, so when the starlings mob that feeder, I can rap on the window and scare them away. Interestingly, the bluebirds are not so rattled by my anti-starling efforts and stick around to take advantage of the situation.


We received even more snow - 6-8" - and I had to shovel the driveway myself. :-( The neighbor who usually clears it with his snowblower is out of town, leaving all of us on the block who depend on him out of luck. I started working on the snow, figuring if I couldn't finish it, I would ask another neighbor for help. But I did it! My left arm did most of the work.


While the bluebirds have been ignoring the wintergreen holly berries, this one robin has not. I keep wondering if it is the same robin who in the spring hangs out under the mealworm feeder and chases other robins away from the hawthorn tree in the front yard. Very territorial.

Today for lunch I fixed myself a club sandwich - turkey, bacon, lettuce, and tomatoes. It was delicious! Now I am back on the tomato wagon, so I guess I'll grow *one* plant this summer, in a container.

No comments: