Saturday, February 20, 2021

Winter trudge

I decided to risk walking the dogs yesterday, since we had received more snow and the icy patches were well covered. They were excited... at first. Due to the snow banks lining the streets, they could not check their "pee-mail". I was a little surprised that several neighbors had made no effort to clear their driveways or have them cleared. These are not snowbound seniors but younger folks. There were a few people trying to unblock gutters and downspouts. Icicles hang from my gutters, but the eaves on my house are very deep for the most part. I don't mind shoveling, as long as there is not too much snow and it is not too heavy, but I draw the line at wrestling in the snow with a ladder.



I skipped dog walking this morning because it was only 5 (five!) degrees out. Later I tromped around the backyard to fill some birdfeeders. "Fill" is a relative term. The only ones that were empty were the millet one, where the birds seem intent on scattering that onto the ground, or in this case, snow, and the meal worm one, which the starlings can empty in minutes. I put *some* feed in each of these most days, but definitely don't fill them up.



Starting tomorrow, the weather forecast promises warmer temps. My prediction is the snow will be gone in a week or so. Then it will be time to ramp up the "fall cleanup".

No comments: