Monday, June 10, 2024

It's a goose parade!

While walking the dog the other day, I witnessed this multi-family gaggle of geese marching down to the neighborhood pond. There are at least 25 of them, maybe three sets of parents. This is something Canada geese do after hatching their brood - they combine families, the better to protect them.


The butterfly weed is starting to bloom. I'm keeping an eye on the plants to see if any caterpillars start munching on them. They need to get more fully established before becoming a food source. Not that I've seen many butterflies so far this year.


After my kvetching about the lack of wildlife in my yard, the other day I spotted the first hummingbird of the season amongst the penstemon. And I've seen goldfinch as well. If the robins don't eat the serviceberry, though, I'm going to harvest it myself.

No comments: