Sunday, June 30, 2024

Design flaws

When the Sanctuary Natives guy replaced the ailing ninebark, he took a look around the yard to see how things were doing. He was a bit surprised to see that the 'October Skies' aromatic aster in one bed now has a baby brother growing next to it; he didn't think that would happen. Now that the weather has cooled and I have been handweeding, I see that the aromatic asters are rampantly reseeding themselves. Argh! An online search validates my findings, with the recommendation that one prune the plants once the blossoms are done.

Two of the asters apparently don't get enough light and splay instead of growing more upright - the better to spread their seeds. I wrapped a bit of hardware cloth around them to prop them up (now they are shaped like sheafs of wheat), but I'm considering replacing them. (BTW, the blossoms of the aromatic aster are not aromatic; instead, its the leaves, which smelled wonderful while I was wrestling the plants into their new confines.)

BUT I feel bad about altering the landscape design. Or I did, until I read this article in the New York Times about the High Line in NYC. Piet Oudolf designed the High Line, but after fifteen years, plants grow - and outgrow their space. Ten horticulturists care for this urban oasis, trying to maintain the original vision as much as possible, but adjusting where needed.

Which brings me back to my yard. I'm allowed to make adjustments of my own when something is not working out. I will try to do it carefully and deliberately, instead of willy-nilly like I have in the past. Besides those two asters, the hairy beardtongue is not very happy in its somewhat shady location, so maybe I will move that and find a replacement. The status of the butterflyweed is also questionable; I've never had much luck with it.


The bluebird parents are busy feeding their young. A (presumably male) wren keeps singing up a storm around the wren box in the backyard, while I don't think anyone has taken up residence in the one in the front yard.

We've had rain (yay!) and cooler temps, so I've been working away on the weeds. Better get back at that chore while the weather holds.

No comments: