Thursday, February 01, 2024

Jumping worms?!?

While I am puzzling about the stink bugs that show up (one at a time) in my house, apparently there are bigger problems to worry about. Asian jumping worms are invading the Midwest. Wisconsin has had jumping worms since 2013, and now they are showing up in Indiana.

What's the big deal? These boogers destroy soil, mulch, and plants, leaving behind castings that do not nourish anything. And there are no known treatments other than collecting them and destroying them. I haven't seen any evidence of them in my yard, but I will keep a lookout for suspicious brown patches.

From the Wisconsin DNR

Here is more info: From the Wisconsin DNR, from Vermont Invasives, and from Indiana Native Plants.

(I can't help but wonder what Darwin would say about such a destructive creature.)

Meanwhile, we are having a ridiculously warm day. It won't last, but it is a bit disturbing.


I've been sick with a cold this past week. Not covid, not the flu, just a plain ordinary cold. In the midst of it, one can't help but wonder if recovery is possible, but eventually symptoms start to fade. I don't get sick very often, but when I do, I am IMpatient to be better. Illness is so boring.

No comments: