Sunday, February 11, 2024

Rite of February

Gardening catalogs start arriving here just before Thanksgiving, but I force myself to wait a bit before ordering. Nothing like pretty plant pictures to hold the February doldrums at bay. The hard part is not going overboard and ordering one of everything.

From Prairie Moon Nursery
  • Ruellia humilis - Wild Petunia Seeds: Packet 
  • Fragaria virginiana - Wild Strawberry Seeds: Packet 
  • Asclepias syriaca - Common Milkweed 12 plants 
  • Silphium perfoliatum - Cup Plant 3 plants
From Pinetree Garden Seeds
  • Profusion Double Mix Zinnia seeds 
  • Hopi Red Dye Amaranth seeds
From American Meadows
  • Trifolium repens - Dutch White Clover seeds (5#) 
My yard has a lot of mulched areas, especially in the backyard. The dogs trample everything that tries to grow there, but I'd like to get some groundcover started around the shrubs, hence the wild petunia and wild strawberry. I spoke with the lawn service that treats the grass, as I miss the white clover and wild strawberry that used to grow with the grass, so for this year, I will spot treat the weeds myself and try to re-establish the clover and strawberry.

We had another spate of 50-degree weather this past week - my daughter and her friends went kayaking - but now it is more winterlike. Some of the plants are a bit confused, like the hairy beardtongue and daffodils. I have to keep reminding myself that spring is still a while away.

A pair of mallards have appeared at the neighborhood pond, and Canada geese are starting to migrate through this area. Maybe it's time to check out the sandhill cranes again.

No comments: