Sunday, January 21, 2024

Ice box

This has been a very cold week. No dog walking, as the street (we have no sidewalks) has an slick layer of ice beneath the snow. I confess I like looking at the white landscape instead of the gray and taupe one we usually have in winter. Alas, not enough snow here for cross country skiing and it is due to melt this week.

Despite the sub-zero temps (or because of it), there has been lots of bird activity. The robins have eaten all the winterberries, are now working on the hawthorn haws. It was 7 degrees out when I spotted these starlings bathing - they emptied the birdbath with their enthusiasm.



I follow the Garden Rant blog. While they don't stick to native plants, their postings frequently give me some good ideas. One of the recent postings mentioned that rattlesnake master seems to prefer it a bit damp, so maybe I'll reintroduce some near the rain garden.

I found two more squash bugs in the house this week, but both were already dead. What is the deal?!?

No comments: