Saturday, June 04, 2022

Road trip

This past week we spent a few days in Chicago. My daughter arranged the trip, as a kind of end-of-school-year treat for my granddaughter. All we had to do was tag along. I did make one request: that we visit the Lurie Garden. If I lived in Chicago, I would want to be near this spectacular year-round piece of green space.


The plants are not labeled, but I recognized many of them. And those I didn't got the Google Photos Lens treatment: take a photo, open it in Google Photos, click the Lens icon, and the app will try to match it with other photos. Very handy.


We also visited the Chicago Museum of Contemporary Art, which included an installation by Nick Cave of thousands of wind spinners. They were mesmerizing. If they sold them in the museum shop, I would have bought one. Instead, I purchased one at Wild Birds Unlimited (I had a coupon!)


Back home, we had another visitor to the backyard, a young squirrel who found itself trapped on the pergola. What you don't see in the photo is Finn sitting at the base of the post, keeping an eye on the youngster.


My next door neighbor has the kind of parents who periodically show up to help her with yardwork. They aren't very friendly, will say hi and that's about it. I'm sure they are wondering what in the world is going on in my yard. If they asked, I would tell them I am waiting on the landscaper to work his magic. Meanwhile, I keep the lawn mowed and trimmed.

No comments: