Monday, May 03, 2021

Fifty shades of pink

The flowering crabs around town are just stupendous this year. I'm surprised I have not rear-ended someone while I gawk at them. One house I drive past frequently has six mature ones in their front yard that creates a wall of color. My own flowering crabs are still small but just as lovely. Per usual, my photography skills do not do them justice.


The actual color of the blossoms on this 'Prairie Fire' flowering crabapple is more coral than pink. And they are dense. While examining the tree, I removed the empty bagworm casing my granddaughter had noticed earlier. I also noticed that there is no central leader. I purchased this specimen online. I can't recall if it came truncated or was damaged and in need of pruning or if I cut it off for unknown reasons. My aim was to have a small tree that would be tall enough to provide some afternoon shade for the nearby AC unit. That goal may be thwarted, at least for a while.


My SO and I continue to undo the raised beds. We are not as young and spry as we used to be, so it will take us a while. In the front yard, I've been edging the flower beds. And there is so much weeding to do!

I'm a little concerned about the redbuds. While the snow did not seem to damage the blossoms, the trees are not starting to leaf out yet. The bloom time came a couple of weeks early - usually, they are peaking around now - so maybe the leaves are following their own schedule. I hope so.

The chokeberry is blooming, as is the prunifolium. Last summer's transplants on the south side of the house are starting to break ground. Last year's bumper crop of "whirlibirds" - samaras from the neighborhood silver maples - are causing a bumper crop of seedlings. The rhubarb is ready for some pie.

I'm sorry if this blog is becoming a bit of a bore while I downsize the yard and garden. After this season, things should get more interesting as I concentrate on the designated areas for the future.

1 comment:

ErinFromIowa said...

Never boring. A dear friend brought me lilacs and rhubarb!