Saturday, February 08, 2020

Diggin' it

Some of the drainage work occurred right across the street from my house last Tuesday and Wednesday. "They" exposed the gas main and did something, I don't know what because I did not go out and chat up the worker bees, before (mostly) filling the hole back up.

Badger Daylighting uses hot water to turn soil, even clay, into slurry that they can suck up. This seems like a much safer way to expose gas lines than using a backhoe and hoping it doesn't cause a gas leak. All they did was create a trench over the pipe, though.


At one point, ten guys were standing around the trench, doing what? Was there a problem? Or was it break time?


Badger left and Nipsco took over. The backhoe turned the trench into a big hole on Tuesday, then a bigger hole on Wednesday. Some work of some kind was performed in the hole before it was filled up almost all the way. I think a load of stone went in first (I *do* have a life and did not spend that much time watching from the diningroom) and the topping appears to be sand.


Orange fencing and pylons are still there, along with the backhoe as of today. The weather has turned since all this took place, colder with a bit of snow. Not sure if that is interfering with the work, but either way, it is supposed to warm up over the next few days.


Thursday night we met with the contractor who is doing the actual drainage work. The maps show a new storm pipe running from the drain near my driveway to the east. That work will not directly affect my property except in an incidental way. I think my swale will not be dug out either, as the rainwater already runs the correct way - south to north - across the front of my yard. Work is beginning at the south end of the addition, so I don't expect to see much happening here until May or so.

Once all this work is completed, I may contact the hardscaping guy who did my driveway, to see if he can improve the drainage in my backyard. There are too many downspouts and a sump pump emptying into the same area - it gets very soggy out there. But first things first: let's give the water some place to go.

No comments: