Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Light at the End of the Tunnel

Yesterday the electrician came and installed the light kit for the ceiling fan. I even had light bulbs for it. I am no longer in the dark. (Sorry - couldn't resist!)

I called the contractor to let him know the light kit was done, discussed what I still owe him, then I asked him to talk to the heating guy because that room is COLD. The furnace has a two-speed fan, and when it is on high, the room is nice and toasty. But if the fan is on low, not only is the room cold, the cold seeps into the kitchen and family room. So it can be 70 in the dining room where the thermostat is, 67 in the family room, and 62 in the new room. That is a bit brisk. And it is only November; what will happen in January?

The heating guy called while I was on my way home and left a message on my answering machine (remember when answering machines were new? I used to hate them), suggesting he could fix the problem by increasing the low speed on the fan. I don't know much about HVAC, but it seems like that might warm up the new room some, but it would also warm up the rest of the house and the fan would go off. He will have to convince me because I really don't want him making the rest of my house uncomfortable.

I plan on adding window treatments of some sort (insulated Roman shades?) and an area rug (why do we put down wood or wood-like flooring only to cover it up?) and eventually foundation plantings and trees outside, someday when I have money again. And I could put a space heater out there, because the room needs to be comfortable only when occupied. In the meantime, we'll see what the heating guy can do.

No comments: