Sunday, September 22, 2024

Front porch menagerie and conifers at the mall

Speaking of spiders (as I was in my last post), my front porch and yard sport quite a few funnel spiders. From the Illinois Department of Natural Resource: "They have long legs and can move quickly. The body is light brown with some dark markings. These spiders sit at the end of their funnel-shaped web as they wait for insects. Webs are often seen in late summer and early fall close to the ground and covered with dew."

Every year I debate over whether to clear these webs off the porch before or after Halloween. If I wait too long, cold weather causes the spiders to try to sneak through the front door into the house.


Foggy dewy mornings are great for spotting the webs in the lawn and beds. I am fine with spiders being OUTdoors, not so much INdoors.


I used to have a lot of paper wasps making nests on the soffits and porch roof, but updating both mostly eliminated that issue. My son pointed out that this wasp nest is probably from a mud dauber.


New topic: miniature conifers at the mall. For some reason, one of the local malls replaced some of the indoor houseplants with miniature conifers. They are in pots they will probably outgrow, so I am curious to see how long they last.




My research has revealed that just because the name of a plant includes "miniature" doesn't mean it will stay miniature in size. Sometimes it means it just won't get as big as its larger cousins, which may still be too big for its intended location.

Today we *finally* got some rain. Not enough, but maybe the grass in the lawn will become less brittle. Lots of Canada geese have been using our neighborhood as a stopover on their way south; a few mallards do the same down by the pond. Even the starlings are beginning to change to their winter plumage. Winter will be here *someday*.

(If you miss seeing ice and snow, I recommend watching "True Detective: Night Country". It takes place in Alaska, north of the Arctic Circle, but was filmed in Finland. Brrr!!!)

No comments: