Sunday, July 21, 2024

Nuts to nutsedge

A weed is a plant that is growing where you don't want it. Yellow nutsedge is such a plant. It likes damp soil, so pops up in the lawn near the edges of the driveway. And now it is rampant in the rain garden.


It's Latin name is Cyperus esculentus. Nutsedge is also known as nut grass, chufa sedge, tiger nuts or earth almond. I've read that is is native to the Middle East and I've read that it is native to Indiana. Regardless, it has spread around the world. In some countries, it is used for livestock feed. Some people eat the tubers and/or make a drink from them. Ducks and wild turkeys feed on it.

I don't have any ducks or wild turkeys in my yard, so its value to me is minimal. I contemplated letting it grow in the rain garden, but decided that was inviting trouble. There are herbicides that target nutsedge, but they may damage turf grass and other nearby plants. I'll keep spraying it where I can, pulling it where I can't spray, and mowing it in the lawn.

No comments: