Sunday, July 28, 2024

Name that tune

Several years ago, I tried the bird identifying app Merlin and was not impressed. But I decided to try it again. It is much better. While I can visually identify most of the birds in my backyard, their songs frequently escape me.

It's no surprise that most of the birdsong in my yard is from sparrows. Merlin also picked up a black-capped chickadee's staccato cheeps; I located it in the (dead) tulip tree, feeding on bugs. Merlin identified the hawk I hear so frequently as a red-shouldered hawk. Mystery solved.

Of course, that is assuming the accuracy of the app. Ideally, one would visually confirm the link between the bird and the birdsong. A photo would be even better. But I'm lazy and don't want to move from my lawn chair. Or I just can't sight the damn bird. Or so many are LBJ's (Little Brown Jobs) and are difficult to tell apart.

My SO and I took a bit of a hike at Fox Island. Many (MANY) years ago, I participated in a ground water study there, which gave me an opportunity to view the wildflowers over several seasons. My tiny brain has not retained the names of those wildflowers, but we enjoyed them nonetheless.


I have a tendency to plan a project, purchase the needed supplies, then never actually complete the project. Yesterday I actually accomplished one: adding nonskid strips to the garden shed ramp. When wet, the ramp is slick, even moreso when covered with snow or ice.


The black strips were easy to install: remove backing and press. The narrow gray strips were a nightmare. The backing layers separated. My thumbnails are sore from trying to pick at the backing (I eventually resorted to using a box cutter). We'll see which ones last the longest.


This must be the year of the hydrangea. All over town, shrubs are dense with bursting blossoms. My own 'Limelight' hydrangea has joined in.


It looks like it will be a banner year for goldenrod as well.


Below is a photo of the morning sun. I took the picture because the sun was red, but it didn't translate onto the image. Too bad, because it was stunning.


While on the topic of photos, Dropbox no longer is working between my devices, probably because I have been using the free version which apparently is no long free, or free for only a limited time. How best to transfer photos from my phone to laptop now? Well, today I discovered I can link those two devices. It's not as simple to use as Dropbox, but it works fine.

No comments: