Sunday, October 30, 2022

Mow the leaves, rake the deck

I spent half the day outside, doing fall-like things like mowing the leaves (and using my zero-turn mower to direct them around the trees) and raking the deck (decomposing leaves not only stain the deck but make it slick). Not all the leaves have fallen yet, so I expect a repeat performance in a week or so.

The two showiest plants right now are the blooming witch-hazel and the berry-ful winterberry holly.


I am looking forward to a snowy winter to provide even more contrast to the red fruit.



Occasionally, I think about replacing one or more of my aging area rugs, but then a cat pukes on one. Ditto this dog damage. I could have that corner piece of siding replaced, but Clio might just claw it apart again. I have a list of things to do when I am petfree (if that ever happens).


I've been seeing quite a few robins lately, which makes me realize I have *not* seen many lately. They scrounge around in the mulch, presumably finding worms? They must not be a caching species, along with the starlings.

We have had a couple of frosty mornings, but the weeds are still green, so I sprayed them today. That will be the last weed-killing spree of the season, me thinks.

Have a spooky Halloween.

No comments: