Saturday, July 23, 2022

Yardening is fun again

The nightmare is over. The yard is under control (mostly), or at least, less overwhelming. I can enjoy yardwork once again.

I tried to find a yardstick to place next to this hickory - I know I have three of them *somewhere* - but take my word that this tree is on the short side. That is because hickory trees have a tap root, so can be grown only so much in a pot. What it lacks in height it makes up for in health.


The hickory and the beardtongue penstemon went into the ground on Friday (yesterday), marking the end of the installation. The swamp oak and the cumulus serviceberry trees have tall zippered watering bags; the other serviceberry plants and the witchhazel have donut shaped watering bags. Everything else gets their water straight from the hose, the hose I'm wrangling around the yard for an hour-and-a-half each evening.

That is one of my very few complaints about the landscaping - I had no idea I would be spending that much time watering, and had almost scheduled a getaway, which would have been disasterous for the plants. My other complaint is the glyphosate spraying of unwanted weeds and plants was not thorough enough, lots of things poking through the three inches of mulch. I've resigned myself to a weekly chore of spot treating the yard. Otherwise, I am happy, happy, happy with the results.

I finished trimming the redbuds in back so they don't obstruct my view of that gorgeous yard and so they don't rub against the house. Some of the barespots in the lawn have been seeded as well; there are more to do, but I ran out of straw. This weekend is rainy - over an inch so far - so I get at least one day's reprieve from watering.

No comments: