Sunday, July 17, 2022

Before and after

Here is a rundown of the new plantings in my yard. It took the crew nine straight days of labor to tear out the old and bring in the new, then cover it all with 3" of mulch (for which they did resort to a "Dingo" to move it from the driveway to the backyard). The underground utility people were late, and one crew member tested positive for Covid. The others worked late and even over the weekend. I gave them a bonus, then embarrassed myself by bursting into tears of joy and gratitude. Now the yard feels much more manageable.

Before: Left side of front of house


After: Common Bluestar, Roundleaf Ragwort groundcover


Before: Center of front of house


After: Plantain-leaved Sedge, Prairie Alumroot, Butterfly Milkweed, Wild Columbine, Wild Geranium, Aromatic Aster, Nodding Onion, Hairy Beardtongue (coming soon)


Before: Right side of front of house (boxwood hiding behind the goldmop)


After: Cumulus Serviceberry, Prairie Alumroot, Roundleaf Ragwort


Before: right side of back of house


After: Winterberry Holly


Before: left side of back of house


After: Low Scape Hedger Chokeberry


Before: facing north


After: Serviceberry (and Honeysuckle Vine is revealed!)


Before: facing northwest


After: My play area, plus Shagbark Hickory (coming soon)


Before: facing west


After: Spicebush, Canadian Hemlock, Winterberry Holly, Swamp Oak


Before: facing south


After: one Witchhazel joined by four more


There are a couple of more plantings to go. The south and north sides of the house are untouched, more areas for me to play in. I've rehung (most of) the birdfeeders, moved some containers off the deck, etc. It didn't rain the whole time, but now we are having a lovely drizzle, lessening my watering load. Now I can carry on with my usual chores of trimming back trees and shrubs, trimming, mowing, etc. I'll post a complete plant list separately.

1 comment:

ErinFromIowa said...

Amazing transformation! Enjoy!