Sunday, May 01, 2022

Returning snow birds

I recall the first time I heard the phrase "snow birds" - and it was in a derogatory manner as the speaker thought those who head south for the winter are weak - but I'm seeing the phenomonon in my backyard. This past week, a catbird landed on the safflower feeder, much to the consternation of the house finches, and a cowbird has been a regular visitor at the millet feeder. And I have at least one oriole who likes the grape jelly I put out for him!


I hung the wren houses, one in the backyard and one in front, but have yet so see or hear any wrens. I had to make an addition to one house, as last year a sparrow squeezed into it. I've seen the sparrows check out these houses this year, but so far, no one has moved in.


Still no progress on the front of the house. The one guy could be done in about an hour, just needs to install a railing on the porch and replace the shutters; the painter is supposed to show up tomorrow. Once the trellis is back up, I plan to make use of a new planter I purchased from Gardeners Supply. This is the first time I've ordered one of their "self-watering" planters. We'll see how well it works.


No takers on the "rainbow" shed yet. I may post it to Nextdoor, which is not one of my favorite sites. My daughter is getting a new shed, but I couldn't convince her to take this one. Something about it being plum ugly.

No comments: