Saturday, February 05, 2022

Snow joke

I hope you are not tired of snowy photos from the Midwest, as I have a few to share. It wasn't the same as the blizzard of '78, but we received a significant amount of snowfall, about a foot in my backyard. And we don't have to worry about a repeat of the flood of '82 because the city has since done a LOT to mitigate contributing factors to that flood. The kids don't even miss school now; my granddaughter spent a day here with me, diligently tackling her e-learning assignments. The assignments are available at 10:00 AM, so she could still sleep in, and she spent her "recess" outside, building a snowperson, so don't bemoan the lack of snow days.






Sean from Sanctuary Native Landscapes and I met via Zoom, to discuss final plans for the installation. My attitude now is, This is costing me so much, this is *exactly* what I want. While most of the yard will be stripped clean, a few things will remain, at least for now. I'm carving out a few areas for my own uses because I do like puttering around out in the yard. But for the most part, it will be a complete redo.

I haven't seen anything exotic in my backyard birdwise, but there are some surprises: a nuthatch at the mealworm feeder, a junco under the mealworm feeder, a lone male cardinal, a robin at the bird bath. This morning I saw quite a few robins feeding on the fruit on the trees by the library branch near me, so they are starting to come out of the woods for their winter feast; I expect my hawthorn to be stripped bare soon.

No comments: