Sunday, March 28, 2021

Out like a lion?

We are having blustery March weather which has yet to exhibit any lamb-like tendencies. And it has been reliably wet, which is a good thing this time of year. The croci and daffs are blooming their hearts out while the grass is turning a nice lush green color.

I have found the little doodad for making seed starting pots from newspaper; the seed starting heating mat is still missing, as is my horticultural knife. The knife has been replaced with a brand new one. It is really hefty, should last a lifetime... as long as it doesn't disappear.


I also ordered a mini LED grow light garden from Gardeners Supply, but it is backordered. In years past, I dragged some wire shelving in from the garage, mounted shop lights, and started seeds in the den. This year, given the reduced garden size, I decided to put the seedling pots on the kitchen counter, under some under-cabinet LED lights. (Photos refused to turn out.) Given the limited amount of counter space in my kitchen, this is not the best solution. However, the zinnias and hollyhocks are up, as are most the herbs. Maybe this time I will have more success keeping the seedlings alive than I did earlier this year.

Still not a lot of birds at the feeders, although I did see a red wing blackbird the other day. I've determined (in a completely unscientific way) that the difference between winter robins and spring robins is the former feed in the trees while the latter are on the ground listening for worms.

There is a web site I have just discovered that forecasts bird migrations (among other things). It's called BirdCast and may be found here. I'd like to know specifically when orioles arrive here so that I can put out my oriole feeder.

No comments: