Sunday, January 31, 2021

You snooze, you lose

I checked out the Aerogarden site after reading Erin's comment about starting seedlings in one. The new 3-pod 'Sprout' model was on sale. I decided to sleep on it - I have been decluttering not only physical space but mental and psychological space and wasn't sure I wanted to take on a new project - but when I went to make a purchase, they were sold out. In fact, many of their models are sold out. Due to the pandemic-inspired gardening craze? Or are they getting rid of last year's stock in anticipation of the new growing season?


This morning I woke up to a lovely blanket of snow. My ortho doc nixed cross country skiing, and conditions may be a bit too sticky for that anyway. I had to make do with shoveling the deck and front walks and around the gates I use most frequently; my neighbor across the street is kind enough to blow the driveway for me.


Recently I received a quote from a new lawncare company that utilizes organic methods. I'm excited. I used to treat my lawn myself, but gave that up after I lost a cat to tongue cancer. Meanwhile, the lawn has become quite weedy. I am going to try this business out, but just for the front yard as the backyard is still a work in progress.


I replaced the cracked corn in one bird feeder (which repeatedly clumped up and would not flow) with a mostly millet mix. The sparrows seem to really like it. Meanwhile, the starlings continue their feeding frenzy. They aren't nice to other birds and they aren't nice to each other. I hear crows on a regular basis and see geese flying overhead, unusual avian events in the middle of winter. I even saw a heron the other day.


Despite precautions, my SO and I managed to catch little colds this past week, as did my granddaughter the week before. It must be one more thing going around. I was a little surprised but blame it on the maskless. Come on, people! Let's help each other out here.

2 comments:

ErinFromIowa said...

I watch the neighborhood,animal and human from my third floor corner loft windows. I'm impressed by the heron! My AeroGarden Bounty Classic was purchased because I listen to BBC for world news. $259 October - $292 Feb. I have jokingly forming a skilled zombie invasion team for years. I wasn't too far off the mark. I'm in charge of horticulture and food preservation. I have abundance greens flash frozen for soups, etc. Now that I have watched two million YouTube videos I realize can replicate a AeroGarden in various forms.

ErinFromIowa said...

Sorry for all the typos! How are your citrus trees?