Saturday, July 25, 2026

Strong enough

I have been so busy lately that I castigate myself for not exercising beyond walking the dog. But surely yardening counts, right? I'm strong enough to be able to do what I want.

Withstanding the heat is another matter. The past week has been rather delightful temperatur-wise, so I tackled the beds in the front of the house, cutting back spent flower stems and weeding; it looks better now. Today I transplanted some of the volunteer nodding onion to the backyard, then mulched a bit in the shade, as that sun was HOT. More hot weather is on the way. Hopefully it will bring some much needed rain.

The oak tree in the backyard was installed with a stake to hold it up while it established its roots. Last week I checked the collar that circles the trunk and discovered it was time to remove that thing. Ditto the flowering crab in the front yard. One of those things that is easy to forget.


Despite being new, one of the culver root plants is blooming. If I didn't water all the newbies every day or two, I would have missed it.


I have seen more butterflies - swallowtails and monarchs - in the backyard this summer than I have the past several years combined. They don't stay, but it is still a good sign that they are at least checking things out. Nothing discourages the cicadas - the song of summer.

No comments: