Sunday, October 13, 2024

A patch of no-mow lawn

Even though I have been having my lawn treated the past several years, I asked them to skip the side yards. The area on the south side of the house is now almost completely no-mow, thanks to clover and creeping charlie. Most consider creeping charlie to be an invasive weed and it can choke out other plants (like turf grass), but I think I will let it go for now, to see how it holds up over time.

Would it make sense to let the whole yard become creeping charlie? Probably not feasible, as CC likes some shade and most of my lawn receives a lot of sun. While the experiment on the south side of the house continues, I'll meditate on that idea.


I don't know why this bird is called a red-bellied woodpecker; the red patch is on the back of its head. I'm glad to see it visiting, though.


I'm still mowing grass but only a few leaves. On this morning's dogwalk I noticed some of the neighborhood maples are *finally* turning. The temps are cooler and yesterday we received a surprise but short-lived downpour. Otherwise, the forecast is for more dry days, although we *might* get some frost come Wednesday. I'll believe it when I see (or feel) it.

No comments: