Sunday, August 06, 2023

Rethinking bird feeders

The recent newsletter from Riverview Native Nursery pointed to several articles about the pros and cons (mostly cons) of using bird feeders. (The articles may be found here and here.) This information has provided food for thought regarding my backyard habits.

In the past, I rarely fed wild birds through the summer. Instead, I would wait until after Thanksgiving to put the feeders out, figuring that those that were going to migrate had left by then and those that remained behind could use some help. It turns out this is not wrong.

The other thing I have tried to do is provide plants that provide bird food: serviceberry, oak tree, coneflower, monarda, viburnum, winterberry, crabapple, hawthorn, honeysuckle vine, hosta, and (especially this year) sunflowers.

What changed me into feeding during the spring and summer was the sparrows eating the leaf buds from the Japanese maple, preventing it from fully leafing out. I started putting out millet for them, and it escalated from there.

The result is I have a ton of sparrows and a ton of starlings, but practically no other birds. I enjoy watching the behavior of all kinds of birds, but this monoculture has been disappointing and disturbing. The bird feed industry also encourages year-round feeding by providing products such as cylinders of nesting foods. I put the cylinder inside a cage so that starlings could not get at it, but the juvenile sparrows just sat inside that cage, gorging themselves on easy pickings.

So now I plan to segue into feeding them only during the winter and early spring months. Some exceptions: mealworms for the bluebirds and wrens; millet in the spring for the sparrows, at least until the Japanese maple leafs out; oriole nectar in April and May; and hummingbird nectar in June. I hope that will lead to a more balanced avian population in my backyard. (It will also save me money!) The bird baths will stay, of course.

Yesterday we got a goodly amount of rain, and more is promised. The hot weather has abated and we are having rather mild temps for August. We'll see whether that holds through the month.

We spent some time in Chesterton yesterday and (among other places) visited the Chesterton Feed and Garden Center. It has quite the varied and extensive product line. I picked up a doohicky that will help with the watering of the tulip tree. I can attach a hose to it, and it will spray the whole root zone under the tree.


My attempt to grow bush beans in a rather shallow container did not work, so I purchased this milk crate liner so that next year I can provide more depth for the roots. (I already have a couple of milk crates.) We'll see how that works out.


Here are the aster blossoms I mentioned last week. The plants, Symphyotrichum oblongifolium 'October Skies', are like small shrubs. I expect them to provide some much needed color for the front yard.


In the bed on the south side that the rudbekia and ironweed have apparently taken over, there is a patch of something. I couldn't identify it as either friend or foe, so I let it grow. It is now over six feet tall and showing its true colors: I think it is goldenrod, a welcome newbie. I don't think I planted it, but it can definitely stay. And we'll see how it fares against the thug plants.


Have a surprising week.

No comments: