Saturday, April 18, 2020

Bring on a downpour!

Last week's big excitement in front of my house was the upgrading of the storm sewers. While sheltering in place (more or less), I kept tabs on the progress. It looks like they are basically done here (except for seeding lawns and repairing my neighbor's driveway), but today's dog walk revealed that they continue the job one street over.


While all this was going on, I probably could have squeezed my car down the driveway, but since there was nowhere I had to be, I hunkered down except for dog walks. The daily newspaper arrived each day, but the mail carrier could not reach the boxes once. I don't get much mail these days anyway, but I was on the lookout for another disc from Netflix.


The sewer grate on my side of the street is not actually on my property, so lawn damage was peripheral for me. I was a little worried about my nearby flowering crab - what if the backhoe backed over it? - but they did not even get close.


They had to cut the road which has been a bonus: drivers slow down when they see it, although it is not much of an obstacle. The front loader doubled as a street sweeper, so the roads have been relatively clean throughout this process.


I kid my neighbor across the street that I did not have a problem with flooding until he redirected his sump pump to the front of his property. Apparently, the engineers took this into consideration, as the construction crew provided his sump outlet with a conduit to the sewer.


So now I am eager for a big rain, to test this new design. Instead, yesterday we received SNOW. I swear we almost always receive a snowfall in April, but I am hoping this is the last of it. I don't think it is going to interfere with the flowering shrubs and trees. I mowed last weekend, but I think I'll skip it this time.

No comments: