Wednesday, January 08, 2020

Houseplant hunting frustration

In a previous lifetime, I tried to be a houseplant person. This was the time of spider plants and aloe vera and rubber trees and wandering Jew (not a very PC name) and Boston fern. I do have a few tropicals, some of which actually thrive despite my neglect. Maybe because I missed out on gardening last summer I am feeling the urge for some fresh foliage around the house.

I had this giant, sad looking mother-in-law tongue plant that I kept planning to divide and repot. It just kept looking worse and worse, until I decided to just chuck it and start over. I did a little research regarding different varieties of Sansevieria trifasciata, hoping to find one just as erect but not quite so tall. Well, lotsa luck with that.

For one thing, I am not sure where one buys houseplants anymore. They used to be so ubiquitous. I knew both Lowe's and the Home Depot have some, so we started there. The selection was rather slim, but my primary complaint was the labeling, or lack thereof. As a gardener, I found the dearth of information very odd, and the information that was supplied was incomplete and/or questionable.

In the end, I purchased a couple of plants that were simply labeled "Foliage". Their web site Wild Interiors was not much help, either. I think I bought Hedera Ivy. Maybe. The plants are pretty and (right now) quite compact. They will get indirect light. We'll see whether they thrive.

No comments: