Saturday, May 11, 2019

Not so weather-proof

I'm one of those odd people who think sunshine is overrated. Gray skies are my skies. Consequently, I thought I could easily live somewhere like Portland OR or Vancouver. But this spring we had days and DAYS of rain - ugh! I prefer my gray skies to keep the rain to themselves.

I haven't been taking many photos lately because, frankly, how many pics of daffodils does one need to see? But I wanted to showcase my little Prairie Fire crabapple tree. What started out looking like a stick is full of blossoms. Unfortunately, today is gray but very windy. Maybe I'll get a decent pic before the flowers fall.

Still no sign of life from the Rose of Sharon, although there is a maple tree volunteer growing there now. I am 99% sure it is a silver maple, so it will not be allowed to continue. Silver maples are native to Indiana, but I despise them.

It looks like none of the so-called hardy hibiscus 'Luna Red' made it through the winter. Ditto the crocosmia 'Lucifer' that I planted in pots but neglected to move into the garage. That darn polar vortex!

Despite the FAILs, my yard produces a nice progression of spring blooms: crocus (until the rabbits find them), daffodils, service berry, hyacinth, red bud trees, flowering crabs, grape hyacinth, purple sandcherry (smells so sweet!), bleeding heart, creeping phlox, chokeberry, etc. Columbine and hawthorn tree blossoms are next. Can't wait!

No comments: