Friday, July 06, 2018

Jeepers creepers

I didn't realize I had so much bindweed in my yarden until it bloomed. It is rather inconspicuous while creeping across the mulch and twining up anything vertical, but it's hard to miss once the white blossoms emerge. First thought: ooh, pretty flowers! Second thought: OH NO!

So I spent a good part of today attacking that, along with creeping Charlie, quack grass, Virginia creeper, wild grape vine, etc. There is some poison ivy in the front yard that I am saving for another day. July must be the month for creepers and climbers. I even pruned one of my 'Betty Corning' clematis vines a bit, along with the juniper bushes that were blocking the view from the den. Now I can watch the monarch butterflies flit right past my milkweed. Is there a secret to getting them to lay eggs?

While weeding the milkweed patch, I discovered that the poke milkweed appears to have been eaten by something. I also transplanted some butterfly weed into the same bed; some of it is doing quite well, while others did not. There are still two blueberry plants hiding in there - with berries! - but I think I'll let the rabbits have them now that I get my berries from Costco.

The spicebush that I thought had succumbed to winter rabbit damage came back to life, but then volunteer pokeweed and golden rod surrounded it. I moved it to the south side of the garden shed. I used to have a compost pile there, so the bush should do quite well, as long as I don't forget it is there.

Now that I can't complain about the heat - normal temps are in the forecast for at least a week - I will gripe about the lack of rain. A few weeks ago, we received almost too much rain, 6" in two weeks, which is probably why so many normally polite plants have turned into sprawling monsters. Now I am having to water, some things daily, others every other day. At least the lawn is slowing down.

I took some pics the other day, but the lens on my camera kept fogging up. Maybe next time.

No comments: