Sunday, June 24, 2018

What view?

My house offers very few opportunities to sit and enjoy the view. That is one reason I added a four-season room, so I could look out the windows at my (usually very weedy) yard. I took advantage of this most when working from home. After I retired, I spent less and less time in the "den", though. Recently I rearranged the furniture to encourage more viewing pleasure. Too bad I can barely see anything.


It doesn't help that I replaced the bistro table and chairs with a couch, so now I am sitting lower.


I planted the two Juniperus x pfitzeriana 'Sea Green' shrubs with an Alberta spruce conica in 2012. The plant tags led me to believe the junipers would grow to the bottom of the windows, like they were in 2016. I expected the Alberta spruce to get a couple of feet taller than the junipers. I thought it would make a nice tableau, especially flanked by 'Betty Corning' clematis.

2012

2014

2016

2018

So what happened?!?

I'd like to prune the junipers back a bit, but so far have not found any sound advice on how best to do that. They are protecting the Alberta spruce nicely, so there are no dead or brown areas on it, but I would like to actually be able to see the poor thing. And I'd like to be able to see out the windows of the den while I am sitting on the couch. Any suggestions? Besides removing them?

2 comments:

ErinFromIowa said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
ErinFromIowa said...

Post your questions and photos Facebook: plantsNthings. They are very nice and love to post photos, ask questions and share gardening information.
He also has a YouTube channel.