Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Lake front property


According to my rain gauge, 2.25" fell this afternoon, too much for the storm sewer at the end of the driveway.  The water came almost into the garage.  Thank goodness it has stopped raining.  For now.

Some gardening has occurred between rain showers.  Most of the tomatoes are planted - 8 Amish Paste, 2 German Pinks, and 2 Hungarian Heart all fit into the 4'x20' bed in the garden, and a Patio Princess is in a pot.  I am going to try something different with the two remaining - an Early Girl and a Fresh Salsa Hybrid - and plant them directly into bags of Miracle Grow potting soil.  I've seen this somewhere and thought I would give it a try.

The onions are looking good:

The yellow flags mark where the natural gas line crosses my yard.
Another experiment is growing sweet potatoes - my first time - in containers:  6 grow bags, 4 plastic pots, and two recycling bins the city no longer uses (we have single bin recycling now).

The white pot is for the Patio Princess.
 I tried mixing peat with my own compost, adding bone meal and blood meal, but ran out, so I hope to finish filling these with more Miracle Grow potting soil.  For the record, I prefer growing my garden in the ground, but my soil is heavy clay and not very amenable to root crops.  Until it shapes up, I will have to resort to some above ground solutions.

So far, the patio strawberry tower is looking good:

I expect the robins will be trying to steal berries off this.
 And, inside, the Meyer lemon is not only thriving, but blooming.

The smell is so sweet!
 I don't know if these will produce fruit without being outside where pollinators can get to them, but the plant looks too tiny to support lemons.


And that's all for now!

2 comments:

Toni said...

Oh my! I hope your lake goes away soon.

I've heard of the tomato directly in potting soil thing, so I'll be anxious to see how it works for you. It seems like it should work, but then again, lots of things in gardening SEEM like they should work--right up until the point they become spectacular failures. :)

Pat - Arkansas said...

Your garden is looking good. I like the idea of planting in pots. I have heavy clay soil here, too.