Sunday, March 11, 2007

Signs of Spring

Despite temps in the 50's and 60's this weekend, there is still some snow, especially on the north side of the house.



But that has not stopped a few early risers from appearing. Besides the daffodils...



... some yarrow is starting to grow.



Last winter the rabbits did some serious damage to my new shrubs, so last fall my son helped me surround the susceptible plants with chicken wire. The rabbits had ignored the arborvitae, so we did too. This winter, with the preferred shrubbery protected, the rabbits decided the arborvitae weren't so bad after all.



And, for the first time in the fifteen years that I have been here, I have moles.



Despite a very odd winter - a mild January followed by a bitter February - my minitaure fruit trees survived unscathed.



Here is my xmas scooter, a gift from my SO. I think he bought it from Lee Valley, which is where I purchased the shears. Both were very helpful for cutting back the ornamental grasses. The cart is from Home Depot.



And for once, I did not overdo my first foray into the yard.

No comments: