Sunday, August 03, 2008

Post Number One Hundred!

Last Friday morning, while I was having my car serviced, it poured... at the dealer's. It is only three miles (as the crow flies) from my house, but nary a drop fell in my backyard. When I arrived home from work that evening, the rain gauge was bone dry. I ran the dog to the vet for a nail trim and butt squeeze (she is the only dog I have ever owned that needs to have her anal sacs emptied periodically), and while we were on the road, it rained again, big fat rain drops that could easily have turned to hail. This time we were luckier - the rain gauge registered a whole inch. Who-hoo!

That meant my heavy clay soil would be softened up, so Saturday I dug up Queen Anne's lace and pulled thistle until my hands hurt. And today (Sunday) I pulled more weeds, in the front of the house. I had mowed the front yard last Wednesday (against my will, but the neighbors on either side were making my lawn look scraggly), so I mowed the back today. I'm not a lawn and weed fanatic, but I have to admit the yard looks nicer after a trim.

I carried my camera in my pocket while weeding, hoping for some photo ops, but the butterflies and hummingbirds just would not cooperate. This fat bee was all I could snap, and he's hard to see on the Brown-eyed Susan:



The daylilies are winding down, except for this freebie by the front porch. The flowers are very fragrant.



And I noticed that the 'Hamelin' dwarf fountain grass is sending out its first seed heads.



Reminder: Don't forget to enter the contest to celebrate my 100th post!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.