Saturday, June 30, 2012

This week's box

I didn't mean to disparage all CSAs in a previous post. I was just frustrated with the overwhelming amount of green leafy stuff I have received so far. When I picked up my box yesterday, I was informed that the problem is the hot weather - a lot of plants just won't grow or blossom or set fruit when the temperatures are consistently in the 90's. That I can understand, having witnessed it in my own garden.


Under the greenery, there were some veggies: broccoli, beets, yellow squash, zucchini, cucumbers, onions, peppers, and two small still-a-little-green tomatoes.


I still have not identified the plant below, but I think it is Swiss chard, something I have never grown, cooked, or eaten. My daughter and her husband tried it and declared it inedible. Now it is my turn.


More storms last night, but tamer - just thunder, lightning, and rain. I haven't checked the rain gauge yet, but there are puddles on the patio, which is a good sign. I will set the hoses aside for a few days.

No comments: