Tuesday, May 04, 2010

Like magic

The dead rabbit that was by the electrical meter?  Gone.  Nothing remains but some patches of fur.  It's a shady spot, so I don't think the sun vaporized it.  I'm assuming a scavenger either ate in or took it to go.

Not so magically, the brush pile is gone, and in its place is a big pile of mulch.  I took the day off and my SO came over (with breakfast) and we spent a good part of the day in my neighbor's truck.

While we were in the vicinity of the biosolids location, we stopped at Franz Nursery.  I came away with two 'Wichita' blue junipers (Juniperus scopulorum) to help protect the west side of the house from the weather,



a 'Limelight' hydrangea (Hydrangea paniculata 'Limelight') for the shady corner north of the West Wing,



two 'Big Daddy' hostas to keep the hydrangea company,



and four wintergreen holly bushes (Ilex x meserveae 'Blue Princess' and 'Blue Prince') to provide an understory to the arborvitae.


I also wanted a Prairie Fire crabapple and some redbuds, but I am put off by the prices.  I am willing to order smaller (cheaper) trees online, so maybe I will do that.

The mystery of the perch in the bottle bird house is solved:


My SO confessed.  Still no residents.

My new camera is pretty smart, so I took some pix on a windy day, to see if it could steady the subjects.  The results below are very satisfactory.

Blackhaw viburnum:


Sargent viburnum:


Chokeberry:


My only complaint about the camera is it feels too small in my hand, but I expect I will get used to that.

1 comment:

Pat - Arkansas said...

Thanks for your visit, Abby. I really like your choices for the new plantings and am particularly interested in the Limelight hydrangea.

Your new camera is taking wonderful photos. Thanks for sharing. Now I have to find out if viburnum does well here! :) Or, not.:) My yard is beginning to look like a nursery. A little restraint on my part may be the order of the day.

I'm looking foward to seeing photos of your new acquisitions when they are in the ground.