Thursday, April 15, 2010

Up close and personal

I tried to buy a new camera today, one on sale at Target, but the store I went to didn't have any left.  The other two stores in town do have some, so maybe I will get lucky tomorrow.  Meanwhile, we shall have to make do.

Here are some closeups of my current flowers:

Yellow daffodil:


Grape hyacinth:


Pink(ish) sandcherry:


Lavender rhododendron:


Not so closeup of blue creeping phlox:


Proof that the serviceberry did not get frosted the other night:


Proof that the smoke bush lived through the winter:


Ditto the Japanese maple:


I think the only thing I lost beneath the snow was a coral bells and maybe a hosta.  Since they are on the north side of the house, I have not yet given up hope.

This past week I mowed both the front and back yards with my new mower.  I am somewhat disappointed in the Toro.  It has some new features that are improvements, but the handle is too high for my comfort (and I don't see any way to adjust it, but I will look in the user manual).  But most distressing is the Personal Pace feature.  The mower toots along on pavement, but once it hits my lumpy lawn, it slows way down, presumably thinking the resistance it feels is from me and not the ground.  I find I am pushing it.  Maybe that is adjustable as well.  Let's hope. (Ed. note:  Yes, I was able to adjust the Personal Pace speed, and now it really toots along on grass as well as pavement!)

The grass clippings went around the garlic.  And the pea fence in in situ.  The weather has been great this week, but it is supposed to get near freezing this weekend.  I don't care.  I am going to plant snap peas and maybe potatoes, which arrived today.

I ordered the potato sampler from Seed Saver's Exchange, but exactly what the send is a surprise.  Here are the varieties I received:

  • Red Gold
  • La Ratte
  • Austrian Crescent
  • Purple Viking
  • Yukon Gold
  • Carola
  • Yellow Finn
  • All Red

The only name I recognize is Yukon Gold.  Some will go into potato grow bags, and I'm not sure what to do with the rest.  It never fails - every year I get carried away with my garden order.  And the tomato plants have yet to arrive!

No comments: