Sunday, May 25, 2008

A New Love

My yard now has two trees. This is my new laceleaf Japanese maple. It is not the smallest size available, but almost. Anything bigger froze my plastic-wielding hand. Trees are expensive!



My dad clued me in on how to successfully grow these: water. Lots and lots of water. He leaves his hose dripping on his 24/7. I'm not going to go that far, but I will definitely put it on a daily watering schedule.

I have not had much luck with coreopsis on the east side of the house, but that doesn't mean I can't try again.



This is 'Jethro Tull" which I believe is supposed to be more winter hardy. It too went into the ground today.

I also moved some bee balm this afternoon. (My lower back is not happy.) The bee balm grew so tall last year that it blocked my view of the pestemon, but I did not move all of it. For one thing, I want to see if it survives my clumsy relocation efforts. For another, the new site may be too shady.

While poking about in the back garden, I realized the English bluebells had appeared.



They are easy to miss, especially since I made the mistake of letting Queen Anne's lace get established back there.

The north side of the house is Hosta City.



These guys all love their compost.



This particular bed is becoming full: hostas (with two flowering times), coral bells, bleeding heart, spring phlox, leftover iris that I keep promising to move, volunteer violets, a few struggling lily of the valley.

The south side is all pink and white right now, with white iris and pink peony.



The climbing rose is getting ready to add a little red to the mix.



This poor plant looks half-dead half the time, but when it blooms, it is gorgeous. Hope this is one of the gorgeous years.

I also mowed front and back, even though (once again) it was not really necessary. My neighbors had both mowed, though, which made my lawn look like the scraggly one. Tomorrow we may get thunderstorms. I hope so - we need the rain.

No comments: