Thursday, April 10, 2008

Slow Compost and Birdhouses

Sometimes, when I am cleaning house, I feel like I am simply moving piles of crap from one room to another, instead of making any real progress. Ditto with yard waste. I raked and trimmed in the front of the house and side of the garage, and dragged the detritus to the backyard where someday, in the not so distant future, I would need to deal with it.

In order to deal with all the rakings, however, I needed to deal with the compost pile. I'm sure you have heard of the slow food movement and there may even be a slow garden movement. I participate in the slow compost movement. I have two compost bins, side by side, and I pile crap into one, then at some future random date, I move the pile to the other bin, and voila! The bottom of the first bin holds black gold.

But I was not very attentive to the compost bins last year, so they both had piles of crap. I tackled the smaller of the two, which had enough compost in the bottom for the shrubs. Once that had been distributed, I replaced the crap I had removed and moved the crap from the other bin, expecting to find a like amount of compost underneath. But no, there was a huge mound of compost. Eureka!

New topic: A while ago (two posts but nearly a month ago) I wrote about seeing bluebirds in my backyard and how, once I supplied them with suitable housing, I never saw them again. Well, today there were two bluebirds perched on the top of the post where the bluebird house is hung. Oh! I hope they deem my yard bluebird worthy!

And more bird housing: I cat-sit for my neighbors, and as a thank-you, they brought me a ceramic bird bottle from Williamsburg. It needs to be out of direct sunlight, so I think I will hang it on the south side of the shed, over the compost bins, under the apple tree. That should be shaded and secluded enough, but still viewable from the house. I can't wait to see what takes up residence there.

No comments: