Tuesday, April 12, 2011

The forsythia are blooming - now what?

Yesterday I planted Eversweet everbearing strawberries into a coconut fiber tower.  My vision is fresh berries on my ice cream all summer long, right from the patio.


Hopefully, I will get the Allstar June-bearing strawberries into the garden soon.  And the potatoes and onions and peas.  And brassicas, if any of the local nurseries start offering more than one variety of cabbage and broccoli.  I did break down and buy some wave petunias and a spike for one of my planters, even though it is way too early to plant them.  I just could not help myself!


That is not a very good photo, is it?  That nice green leafy plant in front is the Meyer lemon from Stark Bros.  In the pot left and back is the Wenks pepper I dug from the garden last fall.  It has not been looking too perky lately, so today I repotted it.

 As you can see in that photo, we are experiencing some sunshine, which is supposed to last through tomorrow.  So I am taking tomorrow afternoon off, just to work in the yard before the next round of rain.  Not that the ducks mind the rain.


When I walked the nabe a few days ago, it seemed like every place where there was a few inches of standing water, there was a pair of ducks.


I finally captured a halfway decent photo of a robin, even though they have been hanging around the yard for weeks.


I wonder if this is the same one who did this to my picture window:


He is still at it today.  Maybe I should get one of those hawk decals to scare him away.

Since my forsythia bloom later than my neighbors', it looks a little anemic right now.  But I can't complain about the daffs.

1 comment:

ErinFromIowa said...

You telling about the robin and the window made me curious. So of course I Googled it. I tell ya, you really do learn something new everyday. http://www.allaboutbirds.org/Page.aspx?pid=1184
Maybe simple as soap streaks across your window?
I really want a meyer lemon. Seeing yours (ohhowiwantone) and having a source now I just might get one! I live in a third floor apartment and have west and north facing windows. I think with the west windows and maybe florescent light in the winter it might work.
Thank you so much for being one of the blogging gardeners I live vicariosly through.