Sunday, March 01, 2009

In like a lion

It is fairly sunny today, but that wind is brisk. I spent some time outside doing the usual - poop scooping and bird feeding - and came in rosy cheeked and snotty nosed.

Before abandoning the yard to the weather, I took a stroll around the estate, chatting up the few brave souls that were peeking out of the ground: shoots of iris, daylily, and daffodil on the south side of the house. I advised them to wait a while.

A grackle came to visit the feeders, and a pair of chickadees scolded me for letting the cracked corn run low. I looked for them in the neighbor's pear tree, but they were in a viburnum about six feet from me. Of course, by the time I went in to get my camera, they had fled the scene.

The forecast is not springlike this week, so I guess we'll just hunker down under an afghan with the seed catalogs.

No comments: