Sunday, January 24, 2021

Old dog, new tricks

My attempts at starting some seedlings inside has been a total FAIL. Neglect is the issue. BUT thanks to Erin's comment, I am learning a new way to achieve my goal of an indoor herb garden. I'd never heard of a Kratky bottle, but found some info here. This sounds more doable for me, once I get it together. My biggest problem will be keeping Beau the Feline Destroyer of All Things Nice from messing with this set up.

I continue to be shocked by the flocks of robins and starlings I have seen this winter. Regarding the latter, the woman who helped me at Wild Birds Unlimited said she deters starlings from the meal worm feeder by scaring them off; the starlings fly away while the bluebirds hang around nearby. I tried this and it does work, for a while, long enough for the bluebirds to get their fill. Of course, I have better things to do than monitor the starlings, but it's an amusing after-lunch activity. I'm also going to try offering millet, to see if that helps.

A week or so ago, I received cortisone shots in both shoulders. It took a while, but they actually have helped. Indiana is now "orange" regarding Covid; I'm too young (thought I would never say that!) to receive the vaccine yet, but hopefully soon. And we have a new president (!) whose appointees reflect America in all its diversity. I tend to be a cynic but right now I am cautiously optimistic that things may improve bit by bit.

No comments: