Friday, January 01, 2021

Frightful weather for the new year

Time is an artificial construct, so it kinda bugs me when people make it sound like crossing from one artificial year to the next, on a particular artificial day at an artificial time is going to make a difference. And yet, a new year does feel newish, doesn't it? I'm just hoping today's weather is not a harbinger of things to come in 2021.


Flocks of robins have stripped the neighbor's ornamental pear tree of its fruit. Did you know that the fruit on hawthorn trees is called a haw and structurally is a pome, not a berry? Usually, the robins save the hawthorn fruit on my tree until late winter, but I noticed that most of it is gone, too. What are they going to eat now? Dried up pokeweed berries?


The seeds I ordered from Pinetree Garden arrived. I haven't been able to find my seed starting heating pad, though, so haven't planted them yet. I've been feeling rather lazy the past couple of weeks or so.


It looks like Indiana has fallen off the top twelve list of states with the most new cases of Covid per capita. The county I live in has changed from red to orange and held orange for two weeks, so some restrictions are being lifted. Not masks or social distancing, but things like how late bars can stay open; Hoosiers have their priorities, ya know. We'll see if the past weeks of holiday shopping and family gatherings change that. HNY!

No comments: