Saturday, January 16, 2021

Feed the birds you have

I was reading a short profile of an actor who owns a horse that she plans to show. Her trainer told her to "ride the horse you have," meaning that some days the horse will perform magnificently and sometimes not. I decided to apply that philosophy to my bird feeders. Instead of fretting about the sparrows and starlings, I will just feed them all. That doesn't mean I won't try to lure the sparrows away from the peanut splits or buy corn-free suet blocks so they don't peck at those; I also ration the meal worms because they are expensive. I spent enough at a recent trip to Wild Birds Unlimited that they gave me a free bucket of Bark Butter, something new to try, to see if I can feed even more birds.

Last night, a little hail fell, followed by snow that melted, then froze into bumpy ice, followed by fluffy snow. I've been watching "Bordertown" and the winter scenes with white xmas lights reflected in the snow are quite lovely. Besides our own lovliness here, this morning's dog walks were delightful, as there was no wind. After breakfast, I puttered in the yard, just to enjoy the winter weather.


I've started "fall cleanup" by cutting down the clematis. Even though the 'Betty Corning' is not supposed to be cut down, it looks so raggedy that I can't help myself. I'm wondering if I paid more attention to shaping and training it in the summer, I could prune it properly and not have it trying to take over everything in its vacinity.

Regarding indoor gardening, I have not been having much luck. I wanted to transplant the dracaena that I have been rooting in vermiculite, but, huh, no roots. It looks fine but nary a root has appeared. Maybe I'm overwatering it? I also tried starting some herbs, but so far I have only a couple of basil seedlings, no dill or thyme.

There is shoulder surgery in my future, once I get both doses of the Covid vaccine. I can't help to want to schedule it so that it does not interfere with gardening. Yes, I can hire someone to mow, etc., but my yard is my therapy - physical, mental, spiritual. Even if the pandemic continues, even if the country remains divided, even if domestic terrorism is on the rise, I can look forward to disappearing into the garden for some respite. Stay safe!

2 comments:

ErinFromIowa said...

It can take a while for the roots to form. As long as it looks happy, be patient. Lol

ErinFromIowa said...

I approach my indoor gardening as experimental. I learn from both success and failure. I have never had luck growing herbs indoors. Till I found they thrive on led light, consistent moisture and nutrients. I start the seeds in my AeroGarden and then set them up in a DIY kratky bottle. Now I'm finding out which herbs do well in my apartment.
Rooting your dracena in vermiculite is a method of hydroponics.
Staying busy, trying to be upbeat and positive, Erin