Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Wascally wabbits!

Or, I should say, rabbit.  One down, one to go, as far as I can tell.  Once fall comes, I will have to mount a border patrol, to make sure there are no breeches in the ramparts.  Ironic, isn't it?  I am trying to keep the bunnies out of my backyard habitat.

No rabbits were spotted at Lurie Gardens in Chicago during our visit last Saturday, either.  Other than bees, not much wildlife at all.


Like my gardens at home, the ornamental grasses were coming into their own.


Hostas were hanging on for dear life.


The garden is a bright spot in a Garmin-defying valley of high rises.


There was even water (ala the Beverly Hillbillies "cee-ment pond").  It was people friendly - you could sit along side and dangle your feet in the water - but again, no sign of animals.


My own coneflowers are rarely without goldfinch these days, but the only birds we saw downtown Chi-town were raggedy redwing black birds, sparrows, sea gulls, and "sky rats" (pigeons) hanging around "The Bean" and scavenging for dropped hot dog buns and cheeze doodles.  Ah, well.  The Lurie was still a lovely respite to the city streets.

No comments: