Wednesday, August 04, 2010

Summer doldrums

I was out of town for a week and my SO did the honors of keeping things watered and somewhat picked.  It was a "safe" time to abandon the garden, though, as not much was happening.  My intention was to pull up the onions and let them "rest" in the sun for a day before I left, but I forgot until late in the day.  I still pulled them up, but my SO - who is allergic to onions - had to transfer them to the shed for me.  There they are curing, in the doodad I use for screening compost.


That should last me all winter.

Before I left, I also picked the first tomato.


Okay, not much to look at, but I still cut off the blossom end rot and ate the rest.  And it was good.

As you may recall, I purchased a paste tomato sampler last spring.  The plants had to be nursed back to health before I could transplant them, and in the process, the varieties got mixed up.  One variety, despite regular watering and an application of calcium, seems susceptible to blossom end rot.  Too bad I don't know which one, so I can avoid it in the future.

After a week of eating food-that-I-am-not-used-to, it was delightful to come home and whip up an omelet with my own onions, peppers, and tomatoes.  Last night's supper included my own potatoes, green beans, and cucumbers.  I'm not being as anal as I need to be re weighing the harvest because I just can't wait to eat it!

No comments: