Friday, April 10, 2009

I got worms!

One of the many garden items I purchased for this year is a "worm composting system" from Gardens Alive. The name is a little misleading, as we are not composting worms here; the worms are doing the composting. All I have to do is keep them watered and fed, and they will give me black gold.



The composter components arrived last week, and I assembled them and waited for the worms, which arrived Wednesday. I wish they had sent me an email, warning me that the worms are coming, the worms are coming, because I was not ready. I would have taken pix of the building of the worm bed, but it was date night (my SO did not blink an eyelash when I greeted him with hands covered in something that looked like shit), and I was in a hurry and not a little flustered.



I don't even have many food scraps for them to eat yet, besides coffee grounds. I'll have to work on that because, once they are up to speed, they will eat three times their own weight in garbage each week. I started with 500 worms, but this composter will support 10,000 - 12,000. I may have to start a worm wholesale operation.

Under the subject of spring cleaning, you know how empty your house looks in preparation for carpet cleaning?...



Because everything that is movable has been crammed into the remaining rooms?...



Including the dog?

No comments: