Wednesday, November 15, 2006

Good (Shelter) Pet Karma

Hip Hop had her vet check yesterday. Her teeth are straight, her ears are clean, and now her nails are trimmed. Dr. M tried to sex her, to make sure she really was a "her", but she is too fuzzy. There was also no way to tell if she had been spayed. I gave the humane society a $50 deposit, which was to be refunded once she was spayed or a vet could verify she was spayed, but I'm not about to have her undergo possibly unnecessary surgery. So I guess my deposit became a donation.

I was surprised at how well Hip Hop handled being handled. She struggled some, but did not try to bite, did not totally freak out. Somebody took good care of her, but apparently could not keep her, to my good fortune.

This is the third pet I have adopted from shelters, and I have lucked out every time. Charlie was a great family dog for the ten years he was with us, Betsy is my empty nest beagle, and now Hip Hop has joined us.

I highly recommend adopting adult animals from shelters. These critters face euthanasia without our help. A woman in the pet store told me that there is a place in Heaven for those who adopt shelter animals. I don't know about you, but I need all the help I can get.

No comments: